We believe pupils – irrespective of ability, personality, race or gender – should feel valued and safe within an inclusive and caring school community. Our school ethos to ‘Love one another’ promotes mutual respect, therefore enabling individuals to feel they can make valuable contributions.
Our School Council deals with real issues of concern and gives children the opportunity to learn about their own potential to overcome difficulties and achieve positive change. With adults and pupils sharing responsibility for aspects of day-to-day life, the school functions as an active co-operative community.
Our aim is to encourage pupils to develop into responsible and caring individuals. As a school, we want to contribute to the wider political and social community and help create more involved, empowered and active citizens for the future.
Purpose and Aims
Our School Council helps to ensure that pupils have:
– A safe, happy, fair learning environment
– A forum to voice their concerns and act upon them
– A structured opportunity to learn problem-solving skills
– An opportunity to take an active part in the management of the school
– Experience of democratic processes.
Our School Council encourages pupils to develop:
– A sense of ownership over policy and practice
– A consensus over school issues such as behaviour
– Responsibility towards the school community and environment.
Our school council helps pupils to develop an understanding of their own ability to create positive change by:
– Involving pupils in decision-making
– Respecting pupils as partners in their own education
– Involving the whole school community in developing and maintain shared standards of behaviour.
Our School Council gives pupils experience of:
– Planning, organising and monitoring small projects
– Speaking listening and debating
– Mediation and negotiation skills
– Basic budgeting and managing money.
Our School Council prepares pupils for citizenship by:
– Teaching them about roles, rights and responsibilities within the school system and in the community.